In the 1880s, John W. Miller operated a stage line to Santa Fe and a trading post at Jemez Pueblo. He married Mary Stright in 1884 and eventually came to live in Jemez Springs; they had one child, Hugh. Ms. Stright was John Shields’s sister-in-law and became a teacher at the school which was housed at the Jemez Springs Presbyterian Church. They built a house where the Servants of the Paraclete now stands.
Upon John’s death in 1916, Mrs. Miller continued to manage their hotel, restaurant and mercantile store and subsequently married Richard Mathias. The building that housed the Miller Café still stands in Jemez Springs. She remained a faithful members of the local Presbyterian Church and lived in Jemez Springs until her death in 1944.